ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF JOB: (other duties may be assigned)
Successfully complete, perform, and maintain the Finishing Technician 1 job functions.
- Perform general inspection of railcars to ensure proper condition before painting.
- Perform final preparation before painting, including such tasks as caulking, taping masking, etc. Cover cars parts with protective covering materials (burlap, paper, cloth) to prevent paint overspray from damaging sensitive railcar components.
- Maintain all paint usage logs and record quantity used during painting application.
- Set up and operate various paint equipment including cup gun, airless spray, plural component system, and paint reclamation equipment.
- Conduct inventory cycle count of painting and blasting supplies.
- Mix paint per vendor specifications for proper spray application.
- Spray paint and hand brush paint rolling stock, car parts, assemblies and sub-assemblies (interior and exterior) using various paint methods and products (water base, epoxy enamel, etc.).
- Gage wet and dry mill readings and document per CFRS requirements.
- Apply painted and vinyl stencils and decals as required.
- Understand and operate decal machinery to generate required decals.
- Clean, maintain and properly store equipment. Dismantle, assemble and adjust finishing equipment, as necessary, to ensure equipment operates per manufactures specifications.
Education/Formal Training (preferred, but not limited to):
One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.High School Diploma or GED
Work assignments involve standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, climbing, crawling, and crouching in strained and awkward positions for prolonged periods of time at various heights up to 20 feet. Uses hands, legs, and arms to climb vertical ladders to staging or suspended platforms. Lifts, carries, and sets up equipment and components that weigh up to 75 pounds and, occasionally, objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds.
Work will be performed outdoors and indoors, on and around heavy equipment.
May be required to work overtime and/or varied shifts to meet the demands of the business.