The Fleet Manager is responsible for the successful execution of customer freight delivery and the daily oversight and management of their assigned fleet. This is a leadership position that reports to the Operations Manager or the Terminal Manager, depending on the size of the operation. The Fleet Manager will participate in; problem identification, solution recognition, and system implementation to improve areas that impact our drivers experience and the quality of our services. The Fleet Manager will foster a culture that ensures their team works together in a way that supports the mission of the organization and is in alignment with our core values and beliefs.
Direct and indirect reports consisting of Professional Drivers.
Shift: Sunday-Thursday, 6am-4pm
- Maintain highest driver relationship and satisfaction of new and tenured drivers by:
- Actively onboarding new drivers following the 12 week onboarding process
- Regularly reviewing driver scorecards in order to ensure drivers are meeting performance and income goals
- Auditing driver manifests for pay accuracy and workload balance
- Advocate for driver in relation to executable plans
- Effectively communicate policy changes, schedule changes, etc. to the fleet.
- Participate in driver mentoring and driver appreciation activities as prescribed by the Terminal Manager
- Complete a driver ride along Bi-annually and participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Coach and counsel your Fleet in the areas of; productivity, customer care and service, attendance, and company rules. Develop driver performance improvement plans in coordination with HR and the Terminal Manager as needed.
- Confirm driver plans with drivers (Via Qualcomm and or phone) providing driver with any required information to complete the assignment including special load requirements (Hazmat, specialty equipment, etc.)
- Promote culture of safety in all daily activities by proactively address safety concerns by communicating safety goals and standards to all drivers, providing resources for safety concern resolution.
- Ensure Fleet is in compliance with DOT requirements for hours of service and driver fitness before dispatch. Assist in coordination of compliance activities including the scheduling of physicals and submission of required documentation.
- Monitor driver progress throughout the shift to ensure on time dispatch and delivery of freight as planned, addressing and notifying the customer of any delays or issues.
- Address all customer needs and concerns as they arise during shift and escalating any customer issues requiring a higher level of involvement to the Operations Manager or Terminal Manager.
- Effectively dispatch a fleet using proper procedures for real time management of freight and drivers ensuring high level of data accuracy within the system.
- Identify and communicate assessorial charges to be collected for detention, storage, rescheduled deliveries, lumper charges, etc. by properly documenting in TMW.
- Collect and inspect driver manifest and other necessary documentation necessary to pay the driver and invoice the customer upon the completion of each driver shift to include bill of ladings and lumper receipts.
- Review revenue per truck per day and perform quarterly fleet performance reviews with Terminal Manager and Operations Manager to identify areas of opportunity and develop improvement plan as needed to address deficiencies.
- Maintain, track, and report appropriate equipment levels daily at all customer locations. Based on need requesting adjustments where necessary to ensure optimum equipment utilization.
- Perform periodic inspections of company equipment to identify unreported maintenance issues and accident damage. Participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Oversee fleet of drivers ensuring all team members are properly trained in all aspects of their position. Coach where performance improvement is needed in accordance and notify Terminal Manager or Operations Manager when there is a need for corrective action or formal performance improvement plans to address deficiencies.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- 2 years industry experience with 1 year fleet management experience preferred
- Computer applications experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- TMS experience desired. TMW preferred
- Working knowledge of DOT, OSHA and related safety regulations
- Excellent customer service, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Must be punctual and reliable with the ability to work off hours as dictated by the business
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of all terminal operation aspects
- Travel may be required as dictated by the customer/business
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer keyboard, and speak on the telephone. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to meet the needs of our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations
- The ability to motivate and lead drivers to meet and exceed the customers’ expectations and the goals of the company
- Self-starter willing to quickly adapt, prioritize, and organize. Ability to manage a process from start to finish
- Ability to set clear expectations and work with others to accomplish specific goals
- Effective and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Judgement and decision making considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate action
- Complex problem solving and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Superior communication to include speaking, active listening and conveying information effectively
- Monitoring/assessing performance of self and other individuals to make improvements or implement corrective action